Professor Jun WANG
||BE: Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering, Dalian University of Technology, China
||PhD: Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, The University of Melbourne, Australia
||Senior Research Assistant, The University of Melbourne
||Research Fellow, The University of Melbourne
||Lecturer, Queensland University of Technology
||Senior Lecturer, Queensland University of Technology
||Senior Lecturer, School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, The University of New South Wales
||The University of New South Wales, Visiting Research Scholar
||Tohoku University, Japan, Visiting Fellow
Awards and Honours
||Invitation Fellowship, Australian Academy of Science
||First Grade Scientific Advancement Award, Ministry of Education, China
||Outstanding Overseas Scholar Award, National Natural Science Foundation of China
||Recipient of International Educator of the Year 2003, IBC, England
||Outstanding Academic Contribution Award in Research and Scholarship, Queensland University of Technology
||Endeavour Executive Award, Department of Education, Science and Training, Australia
- International Committee for Abrasive Technology, Vice-Chairman (2007-2011), Chairman (2011-)
- The Institution of Engineers, Australia, Fellow and CPEng
- Manufacturing Technologies
- Engineering Management
Since 2000, Jun has received 16 ARC (Australian Research Council) grants and more than 30 other grants from CRC (collaborative research centre), the Federal Department of Education, universities (including grants and fellowships), local industry, government agencies, the Natural Science Foundation of China, and the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, in support of his research. His current research interests include:
- Ultra-precision machining and nano-polishing of hard-brittle and soft-brittle crystals
- New technologies for semiconductor processing
- Abrasive jet micro-machining and nano-surfacing
- Damage-free micro-fabrication using a hybrid waterjet-laser
- Femtosecond/picosecond laser fabrication of nano/micro-structures
- Advanced manufacturing processes:
- Abrasive waterjet machining of engineering materials
- Machining mechanics, tool wear, performance modeling and process optimization
- Real-time condition monitoring of cutting tools
- Advanced ceramic materials for cutting tool applications
- Machining of difficult-to-machine materials
- High-performance and micro-cutting tool design, analysis and manufacturing
- Development of an ice-jet processing technology
- Tribology in manufacturing processes
Professional Interests and Consulting
- International Journal of Abrasive Technology (IJAT), Editor-in-Chief
- Machining Science and Technology, Associate Technical Editor
- International Journal for Manufacturing Science and Technology, Associate Editor
- Australian Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Associate Editor
- Frontiers of Mechanical Engineering (FME), Regional Editor
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Machining and Machinability of Materials (IJMMM), Member
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Internet Manufacturing and Services (IJIMS), Member
- Editorial Advisory Board, Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Member
- Editorial Board, Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Member
- Scientific Council, Rio's International Journal, Member
- Scientific Committee, Asian International Journal of Science and Technology, Member
- Guest Editor for six international journals (KEM, IJCAT, IJMPT, JDUT, AMR, MRF)
- International Committee for Abrasive Technology, Chairman (2011-)
- Mechanical Engineering Expert Panel, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), Member (2006-2007)
- Research Board of Advisors, American Biographical Institute (ABI), Member (2005-)
- Technical Committee on Nano/Precision Mechanical Manufacturing, Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Member (2006-)
- Ausinan Science and Technology Society, Secretary-General (2008-2009), Vice President (2010-)
- Involved in the preparation and organisation of over 50 international conferences since 1998, including chairing/co-chairing eleven conferences and three conference committees
- Reviewer for a variety of research granting bodies including ARC (Australia), NSFC (China), NSER (Canada) and NAMI (Hong Kong)
- Reviewer for some 20 international journals
- Engaged in a large number of development projects with industry in the area of manufacturing technology and management through consulting and student projects
- Centre for Abrasive Jet Engineering Technologies (CaJET), Shandong University, China, Honorary Director (2003-)
To Sept 2011, Jun has had about 280 publications, including some 170 refereed journal articles, 20 edited books, a single-authored monograph and four book chapters.
Book and Book Chapter
- WANG J, Abrasive waterjet machining of engineering materials, Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland, ISBN 0-87849-918-0 (2003).
- WANG J, "Economic optimization of machining operations in computer-aided manufacturing systems", Chapter 4 in Major Reference Work on Computer Aided and Integrated Manufacturing Systems - Volume 5 Manufacturing Processes, Editor: C.T. Leondes, World Scientific, ISBN 981-238-979-2, pp 131-160 (2003).
- ARMAREGO EJA, SMITH AJR and WANG J, "Computer-aided constrained optimization analyses and strategies for multipass helical tooth milling operations", CIRP Annals, Vol 43(1), pp 437-442 (1994).
- WANG J and MATHEW P, "Development of a general tool model for turning operations based on a variable flow stress theory", International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufact., Vol 35, pp 71-90 (1995).
- WANG J, "Computer-aided economic optimization of end-milling operations", International Journal of Production Economics, Vol 54(3), pp 307-320 (1998).
- WANG J, "A study on abrasive waterjet cutting of metallic coated sheet steels", International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol 39, pp 855-870 (1999).
- WANG J, "Abrasive waterjet machining of polymer matrix composites: Cutting performance, erosive analysis and predictive models", International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol 15, pp 757-768 (1999).
- WANG J, "An experimental analysis and optimization of the CO2 laser cutting process for metallic coated sheet steels", International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol 16, pp 334-340 (2000).
- HUANG C, WANG J and AI X, "Development of advanced ceramic tools from alumina coated carbide powders", International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol 40(6), pp 823-832 (2000).
- WANG J, KURIYAGAWA T, WEI XP and GUO DM, "Optimization of cutting conditions in single pass turning operations using a deterministic approach", International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol 42(9), pp 1023-1033 (2002).
- WANG J and LIU H, "Profile cutting on alumina ceramics by abrasive waterjet. Part I. Experimental investigation", Proc. Instn Mech. Engrs, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol 220(5), pp 703-714 (2006). "Part II. Cutting performance models", Proc. Instn Mech. Engrs, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol 220(5), pp 715-725 (2006).
- WANG J, "Predictive models for the depth of jet penetration in abrasive waterjet cutting of alumina ceramics", International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol 49(3), pp 306-316 (2007).
- NGUYEN T, SHANMUGAM DK and WANG J, "Effect of liquid properties on the stability of an abrasive waterjet", International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol 48(10), pp 1138-1147 (2008).
- SHANMUGAM DK, NGUYEN T and WANG J, "A study of delamination on graphite/epoxy composites in abrasive waterjet machining", Composites Part A, Vol 39(6), pp 923-929 (2008).
- SHANMUGAM DK, WANG J and LIU H., "Minimisation of kerf taper in abrasive waterjet machining of alumina ceramics using a compensation technique", International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol 48, pp 1527-1534 (2008).
- WANG J and ZHANG Q, "A study of high performance plane rake faced twist drills. Part I: Geometrical analysis and experimental investigation", International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol 48(11), pp 1276-1285 (2008).
- WANG J and ZHANG Q, "A study of high performance plane rake faced twist drills. Part II: Predictive force models", International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol 48(11), pp 1286-1295 (2008).
- LI QL, WANG J and HUANG CZ, "Erosion mechanisms of monocrystalline silicon under a microparticle laden air jet", Journal of Applied Physics Vol 104(3), 034903 (2008) (8 pages).
- WANG J, NGUYEN T and PANG KL, "Mechanisms of micro-hole formation on glasses by an abrasive slurry jet", Journal of Applied Physics, Vol 105(4), 044906 (2009).
- FAN JM, WANG CY and WANG J, "Modelling the erosion rate in micro abrasive air jet machining of glasses", Wear, Vol 266, pp 968-974 (2009).
- ZHU HT, HUANG CZ, WANG J, LI QL and CHE CL, "Experimental study on abrasive waterjet polishing for hard-brittle materials", International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol 49, pp 569-578 (2009).
- WANG J and ZHONG Y, "Enhancing the depth of cut in abrasive waterjet cutting of alumina ceramics using multipass operations with nozzle oscillation", Machining Science and Technology—An International Journal, Vol 13(1), pp 76-91 (2009).