Emeritus Professor Graham DE VAHL DAVIS
||BE (Mech & Elec) (Hons I): University of Sydney
||PhD: Cambridge University
||Caltex Oil (Aust) Pty Ltd
||Research Assistant, University of Sydney
||Research Officer, Australian Atomic Energy Commission
||Lecturer, School of Mechanical Engineering, The University of New South Wales
||Senior Lecturer, School of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, The University of New South Wales
||Associate Professor, School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, The University of New South Wales
||Head of School
||New York University, NY, USA, Visiting Associate Professor
||Brown University, Providence, RI, USA, Visiting Associate Professor
|1971/2, 1973/4, 1982/3, 1988
||Technion—Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel, Visiting Professor
||The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel, Visiting Professor
||Imperial College of Science and Technology, London, England, Visiting Scholar
||Atomic Energy Research Establishment, Harwell, England, Visiting Scientist
||Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA, Visiting Professor
||Institut de Mécanique des Fluides, Université d'Aix-Marseille II, Marseille, France, Visiting Professor
||University of Rome, Rome, Italy, Visiting Professor
||University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA, Visiting Professor
||Max Planck Inst. for Fluid Dynamics, Göttingen, Germany, Visiting Scientist
||Institute of Advanced Material Study, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan, Visiting Scientist
Awards and Honours
||Member of the Order of Australia
||Fellow, Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering
||Emeritus Professor, UNSW
||Centenary Medal, Commonwealth of Australia
- The Institution of Engineers, Australia, Fellow
- The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Fellow
- Australian Institute of Refrigeration, Air Conditioning and Heating, Life Member
- Fluid Mechanics
- Heat Transfer
- Computational Methods
Computational Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer
Topics studied include combined radiation and natural convection in cavities; steady and unsteady natural convection in low-Prandtl number liquids; natural convection cooling of printed circuit boards; natural convection in a solidifying liquid in two and three dimensions, with applications to metal casting and crystal growth; heat transfer in an annular cavity in the presence of a magneto-hydrodynamically driven flow, with applications to the design of lasers; a detailed topological study of natural convection in a cube.
Two phase flow; interactive computing in engineering education; heat transfer in machining processes; building heat load calculations; flow through wire gauze screens.
Professional Extra-Mural Activities
- President, International Centre for Heat and Mass Transfer (ICHMT)
- Member, Scientific Council and General Assembly, ICHMT
- Corresponding Member to ICHMT on behalf of The Institution of Engineers, Australia
- Former Chairman, Australasian Fluid and Thermal Engineering Society
- Former Member, Board of Governors, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
- DE VAHL DAVIS G, "Laminar natural convection in an enclosed rectangular cavity", Int. J.Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol 11(11), p 1675, November (1968).
- CABELLI A and DE VAHL DAVIS G, "A numerical study of the Benard cell", J. Fluid Mech., Vol 45, p 805, February (1971).
- MALLINSON GD and DE VAHL DAVIS G, "The method of the false transient for the solution of coupled elliptic equations", J. Comp. Phys., Vol 12, p 435, August (1973).
- MALLINSON GD and DE VAHL DAVIS G, "Three-dimensional natural convection in a box—a numerical study", J. Fluid Mech., Vol 83(1), pp 1-31 (1977).
- DE VAHL DAVIS G, "Natural convection of air in a square cavity: a bench mark numerical solution", Int. J. Num. Meth. in Fluids, Vol 3, pp 249-264 (1983).
- DE VAHL DAVIS G, Numerical Methods in Engineering and Science, George Allen & Unwin, London (1986).
- YEOH GH, DE VAHL DAVIS G, LEONARDI E, DE GROH III HC and YAO M, "A numerical and experimental study of natural convection and interface shape in crystal growth", J. Crystal Growth, Vol 173(3-4), pp 492-502 (1997).
- DE VAHL DAVIS G and LEONARDI E, "Crystal growth by travelling heater method in microgravity", Chapter 5 in Modelling of Transport Phenomena in Crystal Growth, J.S. Szmyd and K. Suzuki (eds), WITpress, Southampton (2000).
- BENJAPIYAPORN C, DE VAHL DAVIS G, LEONARDI E, LEONG SS, TIMCHENKO V and DE GROH III HC, "Numerical study of g-jitter during directional solidification", Num. Heat Transfer, Part A: Applications, Vol. 41(6-7), pp 597-610 (2002).
- TIMCHENKO V, CHEN PYP, LEONARDI E, DE VAHL DAVIS G and ABBASCHIAN R, "A computational study of binary alloy solidification in the Mephisto experiment", Int. J. Heat & Fluid Flow, Vol. 23(3), pp 258-268 (2002).
AMARA M, TIMCHENKO V, EL GANAOUI M, LEONARDI E and DE VAHL DAVIS G, “A 3D computational model of heat transfer coupled to phase change in multilayer materials with random thermal contact resistance”, Inter. J. Thermal Sciences, Vol 48(2), pp 421-427 (2009).